BBC Burmes and BBC News

When the call to prayer was ranging in the epic last Friday, hundreds of Muslims rushed to the five mosques in central Myanmar.
They were enthusiastic about holding their last prayers on Friday for Ramadan, a few days from the festive period of the feast, which would form the end of the holy month.
Then, at 12:51 local time (06:21 GMT), hitting a fatal earthquake. Three mosques, including the largest, have collapsed, which resulted in almost the killing of everyone.
Hundreds of kilometers away, the former imam of the Myoma mosque, so nayooo, felt the earthquake in the Thai Thai town of Mae Sot.
In the following days, he discovered that about 170 relatives, friends and members of his former group had died, most of them in mosques. Some were leading personalities in the coherent Islamic community in the city.
“I think about all the people who lost their lives, and the children of the victims – some of them young children,” he told the BBC. “I can’t curb my tears when I talk about this.”
More than 2,700 people died in the earthquake that occurred near Sagaing and Mandalay, the second city of Myanmar. The death toll is expected to rise as rescuers continue to withdraw bodies from the rubble.
While the region was known for its ancient Buddhist temples, cities were also home to important Muslim residents.
An estimated 500 Muslims died while praying in their mosques, according to the numbers offered by the country’s leader, Main Ong Hulang, on Monday.
Eyewitnesses told the BBC that the road where the mosques were, Myoma Street, was the worst in the city. Many other houses have also collapsed in the street.
Hundreds of people have sought a shelter on the side of the road, either because they are now homeless, or they are very afraid to return to their homes in the event of tremors. Food supply has been reported to be rare.
In myoma alone, more than 60 people were said to have been crushed to collapse, while the grades died in the mosques of Myodaw and MEKya. More bodies are still pulled on Tuesday.
There are indications that worshipers tried to escape, according to Soe Nay Oo, who received multiple reports from the members of his surviving community.
He currently lives in the Thai city of May Sut with his wife and daughter, after he fled from Myanmar shortly after A coup occurred in 2021.
He said that bodies were found outside the main prayer hall, in the area where the worshipers themselves wash. Some were also found holding the hands of others, as if it had been attempts to pull them away from the dilapidated building.

Among the many loved ones, So Nay ooo Lost was one of his wife’s cousins. He said that her death was “the most painful thing she endured” in the 13 -year -old as an imam.
“It was she who showed her love for us more than others,” SOE GE Oo said. “Everyone in the family loves her. The loss is unbearable to us.”
Another of his cousins, his wife, a businessman who has been respected by the Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca, also passed away.
“” The little brother “has always called me in the Burme) … when I got married to my wife, he said we are a family now and always treated me like his little brother.”
“He has always been there for us whenever we needed it. I lost those who loved them like the brothers like him.”
Some of the close friends who died from the former imam of Soe Nay Oo, who reminds him of his strong ethics and great talent in reading the Qur’an.
The director of the local public school, who was also the only guardian at the Myoma Mosque. It was remembered by Soe Nay Oo as a generous spirit that often drives the mosque’s programs from its pocket.
He said every time he hears someone from the society who died, and tests a new wave of sadness. “I feel destroy … it always comes to my mind, and the memories I cherish.
“Although they were not close relatives, they were always the ones who welcomed me, and they followed my prayers, and those who prayed together.”
The fact that they died during Ramadan was not lost. “All the departures have returned to the house of God, and I would like to say. They will be remembered as martyrs accordingly,” he said.

Like other parts of Myanmar affected by the earthquake, society struggles to deal with the huge number of bodies.
It was complicated by the continuous fighting between the military council and resistance groups. The Islamic Cemetery in Sagaing is close to an area controlled by the rebel popular defense forces (PDF), and has been closed to the public for several years. The army continued to bomb some parts of the wider epic area after the earthquake.
The Islamic Society of Islamic City had to move the bodies of their dead to Mandalay, and cross the Irrawaddy River using the only bridge that connects the two cities, according to Soe Nay Oo.
Their bodies are left in the largest mosque in Mandalay for burial. Some have not been buried within 24 hours of their death for every Islamic tradition.
“For Muslims, it is sad, that we cannot bury our families ourselves at the end of their journey,” he said.
Survivors try to help rescue, even while dealing with shock. “Some of my community told me that I pray for them. To be honest, they could not even describe their loss of words when I talk to them.”
It is difficult to be away from his previous group. Love Many other people from Myanmar who migrated abroadHe feels surviving guilt.
“If you were the imam, at the time of the earthquake, I would go with them – I can calmly accept. If not, at least I can be on the floor to do anything I can.
“Now I cannot return. It is painful to think about it.
SOE Nay Oo started coordination. “This sad feeling and frustration that I have now, I have never felt this way before in my life. I am the type that barely crying.
He adds that he was unable to sleep for several days. His anxiety has been amplified because of the fact that he has not yet heard from some family members, including his brothers who were in Mandalay.
SOE Nay Oo has stopped his work for the Human Rights Group in Thailand, and is currently helping to coordinate rescue efforts in Sagaing – sharing any information he can get from his contacts in the city.
At least 1,000 Muslims have been affected in the region who still need help.
“I just feel comfortable when someone asks for help, and I can help him.”
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/branded_news/84c3/live/c2a9baf0-0edd-11f0-991b-c5d1a973d814.jpg
Source link