The Malaysian government has agreed in principle to accept the second proposal submitted by an American company under the slogan “No Charges Found” to renew the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, which is believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean more than 10 years ago. Minister Anthony Luke said on Friday.
Locke said government ministers gave their approval at their meeting last week to Texas-based marine robotics company Ocean Infinity to continue seafloor research at a new 15,000-square-kilometre site in the ocean next year.
“The proposed new research area, identified by Ocean Infinity, is based on the latest information and data analyzes conducted by experts and researchers. The company’s proposal is credible,” he said in a statement.
The Boeing 777 plane disappeared from radar screens shortly after take-off on March 8, 2014, carrying 239 people, most of them Chinese citizens, on a flight from the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, to Beijing. Two Canadian citizens were killed in the accident.
The French authorities did not go so far as to confirm this connection, saying only that it was very likely
Satellite data showed that the plane deviated from its flight path and headed over the southern Indian Ocean, where it is believed to have crashed. An expensive search by a multinational company failed to find any evidence, although the wreckage washed ashore on the coast of East Africa and the islands of the Indian Ocean.
A private search conducted by Ocean Infinity in 2018 also found nothing.
The company says the technology has improved since the last research
Under the new deal, Ocean Infinity will receive US$70 million, but only if a large wreck is discovered, Luke said.
He said his ministry will end negotiations with Ocean Infinity in early 2025.
He added that the company indicated that the period from January to April is the best period for research.
He added, “This decision reflects the government’s commitment to continue the search process and provide closure for the families of the passengers of aircraft MH370.”
Earlier this year, Ocean Infinity CEO Oliver Banquet said the company has improved its technology since 2018. He said the company is working with several experts to analyze the data and narrow the search area to the most likely location.
https://i.cbc.ca/1.7416053.1734700358!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_1180/malaysia-missing-plane.jpg?im=Resize%3D620
Source link