South Korea authorities expected tens of thousands of demonstrators to descend in the center of Seoul on Friday, when the country’s constitutional court decided to fate President Yun Suk Yol.
At least 14,000 police were deployed in the area surrounding the court, closed the metro stations and locked an area near a former royal palace that is popular with tourists and the homeland home. The drones were banned from the area, and schools, sellers and companies were closed.
The first protests are scheduled to start at 10 am local time, before a possible decision by the court that could come early from 11 am, Mr. Yun was not expected to attend the decision, which will determine whether he will be officially removed from his position or returned to power.
Millions of South Koreans have often protested safely, since Mr. Yun has briefly declared martial law on December 3, when the nation drowned in political turmoil and pushed legislators to isolate him. Mr. Yun was Done in January On rebellion fees, however Absolute In unexpected last month after the Seoul Court said that his detention was procedural.
Before the constitutional court’s decision, which cannot be appealed, there were increasing concerns that the supporters of Mr. Yoon will collide with those who are demanding to remove him from his position. After his arrest in January, some of the supporters of Mr. Yun crossed a local court, broke the windows and threatened the judge to hear his case.
The police have invented a castle -like environment outside the Constitutional Court, where they placed 15 -foot metal barriers on both sides of the main street, which is approaching the complex in an attempt to prevent the two camps from facing each other. Among the added security gates, the police stopped dozens of buses and placed smaller metal fences to deter people from occupying the area.
Police response is not without precedent. In 2017, thousands of people tried to cross the police checkpoint near the court after he ruled that the President, Park John Hayy, should be removed from his post. At least four people died during the protests.
On the eve of the ruling of the Constitutional Court this time, the temporary leader of South Korea, Han Daco, called on the nation to respect the decision “calm”.
He said on Wednesday: “The government will not tolerate any illegal or violent acts,” and urged politicians not to incite violence. “This is the time to set the stability and fate of our society before political interests.”
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2025/04/04/multimedia/04skorea-yoon-security-03-pjzg/04skorea-yoon-security-03-pjzg-facebookJumbo.jpg
Source link