Digest opened free editor
Rola Khaleda, FT editor, chooses her favorite stories in this weekly newsletter.
The Israeli Defense Minister said on Wednesday that the Israeli forces will consume “large areas” from Gaza and turn them into buffer areas.
The advertisement represents the latest condensation Israeli operations in Gaza Since Israel broke the ceasefire for two months with Hamas last month and cut food, fuel, humanitarian aid and medicine to 2.2 million people living in the shattered territories.
Israel has already turned into large areas of land along the Gaza border with the country into buffer areas, as well as the creation of a similar area in the Netzarim Corridor, which passes through the center of the tape, separating the north and south.
In his statement on Wednesday, Defense Minister Israel Katz did not provide any details about the place or size of new land attacks. But he said that the renewed fighting would accompany the “widespread” evacuation of the Gaza population from the fighting areas.
He also repeated his previous calls to the Palestinians in Gaza to turn against the armed group Hamas and the release of the Israeli hostages who are still being held there, saying that this is the “only way to end the war.”
This declaration was dismissed by the hostages of the hostages, as the organization that issues a statement accused of Katz is represented by “sacrificing the hostages to benefit the land.”
“Instead of liberating the hostages through a deal and ending the war, the Israeli government sends more forces to Gaza, to fight in the same places where they have already fought over and over again.”
The Katz statement came two days after Israel issued an evacuation of the southern city of Rafah, which is located near the border between Gaza and Egypt, forcing tens of thousands of people to flee.
The Palestinian media reported on Wednesday that the Israeli forces had carried out a major bombing in the area overnight, and that the Israeli forces had advanced to the center and east of Rafah.
Israeli officials insist that the renewed attack is the only way to impose the launch of 59 hostages – less than half of them still believed to be alive – that Hamas is still carrying it in Gaza.
But United Nations officials and relief groups warned that renewed fighting and the blockade of Israel in Gaza has already increased the catastrophic humanitarian conditions in the pocket.
On Tuesday, the World Food Program said that 25 backers supported in Gaza were all forced to close due to a lack of fuel and flour, and warned that its remaining supplies of hot meals in the region would last for a maximum of two weeks.
The Israeli attack has now killed more than 50,000 people in Gaza, according to Palestinian officials, in addition to the displacement of most of its residents – many of them several times – and they reduce a lot of tape to the undetentive rubble.
Israel launched the attack in response to the Hamas attack on October 7, 2023 on Israel, where the militants killed 1,200 people, according to Israeli officials, and took 250 hostages.
https://www.ft.com/__origami/service/image/v2/images/raw/https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2Ffd2c5b5a-3fca-4e5d-a874-c7830c3a9a5c.jpg?source=next-article&fit=scale-down&quality=highest&width=700&dpr=1
Source link