Sarah Sharif’s father and stepmother sentenced to life imprisonment for a “campaign of abuse” that led to the death of a 10-year-old girl

Photo of author

By [email protected]


London The father and stepmother of a 10-year-old girl who was severely abused and found dead in her home in England were sentenced Tuesday to life in prison for murder. Irfan Sharif, 42, and Binash Batool, 30, were convicted of murder last week in the death of Sarah Sharif in what prosecutors described as a “campaign of abuse.”

Sarah’s uncle, Faisal Malik, 29, was convicted of causing or permitting the girl’s death. He was sentenced to 16 years in prison.

After Sarah’s death, the three fled to Pakistan, where Irfan Sharif telephoned British police to say he had “legally punished her and she was dead,” prosecutors said. He said he “hit her a lot” but did not intend to kill her.

sarasharif.jpg
Sarah Sharif, a 10-year-old girl found dead in her home in England in August 2023, is shown in an undated photo from when she was 4 years old.

Surrey Police/Handout via Reuters


Police in London then went to the family home and discovered Sarah’s body under a blanket in a bunk bed on August 10, 2023.

The three later returned to Britain more than a month after their escape and were arrested on suspicion of murder.

The trial at the Central Criminal Court revealed horrific details of the abuse, which included more than 70 new injuries and many old injuries, including bruises, burns, fractures and bite marks, and raised questions about the failure of social services and authorities to intervene and protect her.

Judge John Kavanagh said: “Sarah’s death was the culmination of years of neglect, repeated assaults and what can only be described as torture.” “The degree of cruelty is almost unimaginable…None of you have shown an ounce of true remorse.”

sarasharif.jpg
Sarah Sharif, a 10-year-old girl found dead in her home in England in August 2023, is shown in an undated photo from when she was 4 years old.

Surrey Police/Handout via Reuters


British Prime Minister Keir Starmer last week called for stronger safeguards for home-schooled children like Sarah, and said there were “questions that need to be answered” after her murder. Sarah died months after her father took her out of public school to be home-schooled, after a teacher reported bruises to the little girl to social services.

British Child Protection Services looked into the report, but took no action.

Starmer said the issue was “about making sure there are safeguards in place for children, especially those who are being educated at home”.



https://assets3.cbsnewsstatic.com/hub/i/r/2024/12/17/1a5088cb-8c5b-40d4-bffa-81d9f9fab447/thumbnail/1200×630/b3cb4ab51787cb7e4ce64534938f9541/uk-girl-murder-sharif-ap24289462774715.jpg?v=564e83c5974b3893ba1bcac5fe5947af

Source link

Leave a Comment